Virani Foods in Wellingborough are a supplier of spices, seasoning and pulses to leading food manufacturing companies. Having decided to move their distribution closer to their production site, a suitable premises in Wellingborough was identified.
The premises had been fully dilapidated by the landlord and required some modifications in order to make it fit for purpose. Cubex Contracts were initially involved in quoting for the fit out of the offices, however, towards the end of the project planning the customer also asked us to act as Principle Contractor for them, taking on the responsibility of the site safety and management, in line with the CDM Regulations 2015.
Cubex were happy to assist with this, as the customer didn’t have the competence internally to manage the safety of complex works themselves and therefore needed a Principle Contractor who was an accredited member of one the Safety Schemes in Procurement bodies with the ability to manage sub contractors.
What did the job entail?
Verification and Management of the customers nominated Sub Contractors including:
- warehouse lighting and installers;
- racking installers;
- grounds work to include the installation of doc levellers and levelling of an external ramp;
- removal of redundant crane rails;
- installation of fire detection and security;
- Data Cabling and telecoms;
- Pest control;
- External fencing
Also to provide welfare facilities for the site and the management of the site safety to include:
- Submitting the F10 to HSE
- Producing the fire plan and risk assessment for the site;
- Supplying the temporary fire fighting equipment and welfare facilities;
- Supplying adequate first aid provisions;
- Producing the Construction Phase Plan;
- Inducting all contractors and visitors to site;
- Conducting site inspections – thank you Sphere RHSM;
- Approving all the nominated sub contractors risk assessments and method statements;
- Conducting daily site equipment inspections;
- Producing and maintaining the plant log;
- Providing PPE where contactors / visitors do not possess their own.
As with all projects this meant that we spent several weeks prior to the site opening getting all of the relevant paperwork in place, and verifying the customers nominated contractors in line with our approved Safe Contractor process. This included advising the customer to arrange an asbestos survey and recommending the removal of asbestos prior to works commencing.
Cubex also submitted the Building Regulations notification on behalf of the client and had a dedicated Site Manager on site at all times that the site was operational. We checked the method statement and risk assessments for each of the nominated sub contractors as well as our own fit out team, ensuring that work was carried out safely and competently and took over all control and management of the site during the refurbishment works on behalf of the client.
What the customer said
“Having successfully completed previous projects for Virani, Cubex Contracts were the natural choice of Principle Contractor for the time constrained refurbishment of an extra warehouse facility in Wellingborough. Site Manager, Frances MacKenzie, demonstrated the value of real people skills in weaving a plethora of disparate contractors into a smooth-running project. With safety paramount at all times, Frances ensured that the health, safety and welfare of contractors and visitors were addressed proactively and, befitting a future food ingredients warehouse, the site remained spotless at all times. Cheerful and efficient project management.”
Mark Russell, General Manager of Virani Foods
Cubex Contracts is qualified to act as Principle Contractor for customers who need us to take on the responsibility of the site safety and management of the project/contractor teams. As an accredited member of Safe Contractor and having the necessary experience, we are always pleased to discuss the requirements of each project with you – give us a call on 01933 460422 to discuss your project requirements further.