Office and industrial fit out and refurbishment projects are no mean feat. They require immense planning and preparation, not to mention careful budgeting considerations. Whether you’re considering a new mezzanine floor installation, a new partitioning system, or maybe your office is in need of a full transformational refurb, having a well-engineered strategy is key.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the critical steps and considerations involved in planning and budgeting for office fit out and refurbishment work, and how to get yours started:
Step1: Define Your Goals and Objectives
Before you dive into the details of your office refurbishment project, you need to establish clear goals and objectives. To do this, ask yourself the following:
- Are we using the space to its maximum potential?
- What specific needs and improvements are we looking to address?
- How will the new layout enhance productivity, space utilisation, aid employee wellbeing, etc.?
- Are there any aesthetic or branding considerations we should take into account?
Nowadays our workspaces are more than just a space to work from – it is the environment that forms the basis of how we operate. By defining your workspace objectives upfront, you can tailor your planning and budgeting to align with your organisation’s overarching goals.
Step 2: Create a Detailed Project Plan
While it’s important to understand what it is you want to achieve from your space transformation, it’s not uncommon for businesses to feel unsure of how to achieve it. But don’t worry, that’s where we come in…
Whether you know exactly what you want to include within your workspace refurb, need a little inspiration, or perhaps you’d like a team of experts to reveal your space potential for you, Cubex can help!
We’ll visit your commercial premises and design a bespoke refurbishment project specific to your requirements. At this stage, we’ll review:
- The scope of work – what’s included to achieve the desired outcome, e.g. space planning, interior design, partition walls or a new mezzanine?
- The timeline – we advise timescales by the point of order, if not before. Here at Cubex we specialise in modular building solutions which are normally dry trades (quick and clean!) This can result in a small office being installed in as little as 1 – 2 days for example.
- The project team – we understand how important it is to know and trust the individuals you’re working with. The Cubex team are small enough for you to know who’s on the other end of the phone, but large enough to manage your commercial fit-out as Principal Contractor.
- The budget – it’s an obvious point to make, but you’ll need to allocate a budget for the refurb project based on your objectives and expected outcomes. Our team are exceptionally talented and it’s not uncommon for us to make design suggestions which help our clients save money, time or both!
- Accreditations and compliance – you’ll want a commercial contractor who has the relevant qualifications and accreditations to legally (and successfully) execute the works within your project. Not all of them do. But Cubex Contracts are annually audited and certified – you wouldn’t expect anything less, right?
Of course, if you already know what your project will entail and it’s merely the cost you’re unsure of, why not give our online Project Estimate a go? While refurbishment projects are typically a one-time cost, the exact amount will always differ as no two projects are the same. But with our Project Estimate, you can get a ballpark figure for your commercial works as a handy budgeting guide.
Step 3: The Quotation
When you partner with Cubex, getting a quote for your project out is simple. Once we have visited your premises (for free and with no obligation), discussed your requirements and conducted a full site survey, we aim to return a quotation that encompasses your business space requirements within 7 – 10 working days.
It’s also worth noting that we’re not in the habit of quoting a price and then producing a list of extras at the invoice stage. We aim to cover every eventuality when producing a quotation. That said, we understand customers sometimes alter their requirements. Therefore any alterations to the original quotation are signed and agreed before the project work begins, so you know exactly how much your project is going to cost.
Speaking of cost, many companies prefer to spread the expense of their mezzanine rather than take a hit on the upfront capital cost. That’s why we work with a specialist leasing company to give our customers the flexibility of options. If you think you might be interested in a lease option, let us know and we can liaise with our chosen lease company at the quotation stage.
Things to Consider
Planning a new workspace can be a very exciting time! But that excitement can soon turn to trepidation when it comes to wondering about the logistics. But constructing your perfect premises is our specialty. That’s why we ensure customers of Cubex have considered and understand the requirements that come with an office fit out. For example:
- Mezzanine floor installations – if your project involves a mezzanine floor installation, it’s important for businesses to consider load-bearing capacity, structural integrity, and accessibility.
- Partitioning systems – when budgeting for partitions, think about material quality, sound attenuation, flexibility, aesthetics, lighting requirements and electrical/data requirements too.
- Ceiling and flooring upgrades – these play a crucial role in the overall look and feel of your space. So you’ll want to consider materials that suit your aesthetic and acoustic needs, in addition to durability and maintenance upkeep.
Whether you want a full interior fit out or a partial refurbishment, Cubex Contracts offer a turnkey solution to meet your requirements and budget. From mezzanines to meeting rooms, we’ve got you covered! That’s why our proposals include:
- Fire exits and protected corridors – all commercial buildings must have a protected escape route. We offer guidance to customers regarding these regulations and consult with them and Building Control throughout the design and installation process.
- Health and safety – we work with a health and safety partner to ensure comprehensive risk assessments and method statements are submitted for all works – and we are comfortable working to site-specific requirements.
- Building Regulation Approval – depending on the scope of works, your project may require building regulation approval. We will advise you accordingly, however, as a general rule of thumb, if the means of escape in the case of fire are being affected in any way, then your project will require building regulation approval. But once appointed, Cubex will administer the application on your behalf – that’s one less thing for you to worry about!
Changes to work culture, technology, numbers of office-based staff and safety mean the work environment is ever-changing. Make better use of your workspace with Cubex. Contact us today to get your commercial fit out and refurb project started!